Located in Snow Canyon State Park, Scout Cave offers a moderate hike over lava flow fields and leads to a teardrop-shaped. This trail emphasizes the beauty of the dry desert and is lined with local plants and flowers— it is one of the most popular hikes in Snow Canyon! This trail begins with Johnson Canyon Trail and continues to Scout Cave on the side of the cliff. Views of the valley from the cave are phenomenal, especially at sunset!
Address: 5605 N 1180 W, St. George, UT 84770
Use this map for directions to Scout Cave.
- This out-and-back trail is 3.58 miles round trip and is rated moderate. It takes most hikers 1.5-2 hours to complete the hike.
- There is a fee to enter Snow Canyon State Park. Check out this websitefor rates and more state park information.
- Dogs are welcome on this trail! They should remain on a 6 foot leash.
- This hike is mostly family friendly— children ages 5 and up should be able to manage this hike.
- There are no restrooms immediately near Scout Cave, but there are facilities throughout the state park.
- Pack plenty of water and snacks. There are no water sources available on the trail.
- Expect full sun exposure on this trail and pack plenty of sunscreen! The best time to hike this trail is in winter, spring, and fall. It gets very hot in the summer.
- Pay attention to trail markers to ensure you’re on the right path.