The Petrified Dunes at Snow Canyon offer a perfect adventure for exploration and discovery along slick lava rocks, Navajo sandstone, and gorgeous rocky terrain. Located in the middle of the state park, the dunes are ideal for the whole family and have close access to restrooms and picnic areas. The top of the Petrified Dunes offers stunning panoramic views of Snow Canyon and is popular for photographers– the trail is stunning at sunset too!
Address: Snow Canyon State Park Petrified Sand Dunes, Dammeron Valley, UT 84783.
Usethis map for directions to the Petrified Dunes.
- Although the trail isn’t very established, walking the length of the dunes is roughly 1.2 miles roundtrip and takes about 60 minutes to explore. It is rated moderate with 200 feet in elevation gain.
- Dogs are not allowed on this trail.
- This area is very popular for bird-watching, wildflowers, and kid-friendly views.
- Parking lots, public restrooms, and picnic tables are located at the Upper Galoot trailhead.
- This trail is located inside of Snow Canyon State Park. View this website for park fees.
- There are no water sources. Pack plenty of water and snacks!
- Be prepared for full sun exposure and dress accordingly.
- Pro tip: take the Hidden Pinyon trail back to the parking lot for a new perspective and adventure.