Also known as Lava Tubes, Lava Flow Trail winds through dry desert landscape and leads to three lava cave entrances with educational signs along the trail. This trail is located in the heart of Snow Canyon State Park and is perfect for exploring petrified sand dunes and soaking up desert flora and fauna. The tubes can get quite dark, so make sure to bring a flashlight or headlamp to explore. Please be careful when scaling the lava rock– loose rock and dark surroundings make it easy to slip. Enjoy the beautiful overlook and unique geology of Snow Canyon!
Address: Lava Flow Trail, Dammeron Valley, UT 84783
Use this mapfor directions to Lava Flow Trail.
- This out-and-back trail is 2.5 miles round trip and is rated moderate. It takes roughly 1.5 hours to complete and has 396 feet in elevation gain.
- There are restrooms at the nearby parking lots throughout the state park.
- Dogs are not welcome on this trail.
- This hike is considered family friendly, but the trail is quite rocky and requires some athleticism to navigate the tubes.
- This trail is located inside of Snow Canyon State Park. View this website for park fees.
- There is no permit required for this hike.
- There are no water sources. Pack plenty of water and snacks!
- This hike is popular from October- April. It gets quite hot in the summer months.