Canyon Overlook Trail
Canyon Overlook Trail is a short and rewarding hike with unbeatable sweeping views looking down on Zion National Park and Pine Creek slot canyon. The trail offers a variety of terrain including shaded alcoves, skinny stretches of slickrock, rocky/uneven steps, and ends at a spectacular viewpoint.
Upon entrance into the park, continue on the main road (SR-9) for 6 miles. The road will wind up the mountain in a group of switchbacks (please drive slowly and carefully) and will eventually lead to the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel. The parking lot is located at the end of the tunnel on the right-hand side. The trail begins across the street.
- This out-and-back trail is 1 mile with 187 feet in elevation gain. It is considered moderately challenging and takes most hikers roughly 30 minutes to complete.
- Dogs are not allowed on this trail.
- This trail is open year-round. Be prepared for icy conditions if hiking in the winter.
- This trail is considered family friendly.
- Expect the trail to be heavily-trafficked– it is one of the more popular trails in the park.
- There is a restroom at the parking lot near the trailhead.
- There are no fees or permits required for this particular trail, however, there is an entrance fee into Zion National Park. Check out this website for details.