The Vortex (The Bowl) is a gorgeous hike with brilliant Navajo Sandstone, local desert plants, and the occasional running water feature that leads to a massive bowl-like vortex. The trek is moderately challenging, but rewarding and scenic with lava rock and contrasted red and white sandstone.
Address: Lower Sand Cove Road, Dammeron Valley, UT 84783.
Once you’ve parked, look for a narrow brown sign that reads “wilderness” and turn left after the post. For more thorough directions to the trailhead, visit this website.
- This out-and-back trail is rated moderate and takes roughly 1.5 hours to complete. It is 2.3 miles round trip.
- There are no restrooms available on this trail.
- Dogs are welcome on this trail.
- There is no fee or permit required for this trail. Entrance is free to everyone!
- Pack plenty of water! There are no water sources available and full sun exposure on the trail. Many unprepared hikers become dehydrated and suffer from heatstroke.
- This trail is not suitable for young children. The trail requires rock scrambling.
- The best time to visit this trail is from September-May.
- We recommend downloading a map– the trail is not clearly marked.